I was asked to sort out Easter Day flowers for the side windowsills at church (the big arrangements were already sorted). They had to be silk not fresh, there were eight small arrangements needed and it needed to be done as cheaply as possible.
First stop was the £1 shops - I tried three before I found a good selection of silk flowers. They were all those ones where a whole bunch comes on one stem for £1.
I wanted daffodils but the only daffs available were two daffs attached to a hideous bunch of orange and white flowers. There were some relatively untacky-looking bunches of small yellow and white flowers, so I grabbed four of those - planning to use half a bunch per arrangement - and four of the bunches with daffs in, so I'd have eight daffs, one for each arrangement.
Then I had to find receptacles for them. I'd hoped to find some small glass or china vases - even pretty china mugs - in one of the £1 shops but found nothing suitable. I prayed for a solution! Then it struck me - as water wasn't part of the equation, I could use card. So I bought packs of A4 card in lilac and pale yellow, and made tubes by cutting one sheet in half longways and taping each half into a tube shape.
I cut cubes of Oasis (a bread knife works a treat!) out to fit snugly inside each tube and then stuck one daffodil and half a bunch of white and yellow flowers (cut from their bunch into individual blooms with wire cutters) into it.
They they turned out OK and cost just over £11 for eight, so didn't break the bank. Thank the Lord for divine inspiration!